Thursday, October 8, 2009

Training - Do It Right The First Time

Photo By: Karen Thomsaon

Dan & Jack



I read a great quote today that could pertain to just about anything in life, but when I read it, I thought about training bird dogs, especially puppies. The quote is:

"If you don't have the time to do it right, When will you ever have the time to do it over?"
--John Wooden

I'm not a perfectionist, but I do believe in doing it right the first time. Whatever it is. People say it's hard to find time to train their dogs. I say, read the quote above. It's always easier to train a dog to do the things you want him to do, than it is to break a habit of doing something you'd rather he didn't. No one ever thinks about the TIME it takes to UN-TRAIN a bad habit. It's more timely, more difficult, and often the person will give up before the dog has broken his bad habit or behavior. Stick with it right from the start and it will be like most investments that you put your heart into, well worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment