Saturday, October 24, 2009

So I Bought Some KONG Balls For My Gordons




















Photo's By: Karen Thomason


Okay, so I bought my Gordon Setters, a couple of those KONG balls. You know, I have them listed in our favorite products list. Only, I got the round ball with the hole in the middle. My thinking was that the ball wouldn't be so heavy. A few of our Gordons like to catch them in the air. My husband was worry about them getting their teeth knocked out if he through it onto the kennel roof and let them catch it when it came rolling down. Which is what they do with the tennis balls. After the balls came in the mail, I realized that even with a hole through the middle, the ball was still to heavy for this "ball on the roof" game. So, then I gave one to Happy, inside the house. I threw it across the room and said, "get the ball". He pretended to look at the ball and then back at me. I threw it again. And again. And again. I bounced it and bounced it. Sit it in front of him. Teased him with it. NO REACTION. He could not have been any less interested! Can you see his excitement in the pictures? I guess it takes a particular taste for these balls and Kong toys. They LOOK good. They are better than tennis balls for your dog to chew. My dogs just don't seem to like them. Maybe a dog that really loves to chew, as opposed to one who just loves to run and fetch the ball, may enjoy it more. I'm thinking they will be useful for teething puppies.

8 comments:

  1. I didn't care for the balls and either did my dog that loved the Kong. I suspect you need to start them young with the new toy and see if they like it. Ginger, my Kong nut, loved the way the Kong bounced. It was the only toy she would play with. Flash could care less. I just gave Erin some of Ginger's old Kongs and I've caught her chewing on it quietly behind the chair where she stashes her toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cracks me up, that Erin goes behind the chair. Do you think she is hiding the fact that SHE likes the ball, or she just wants to hide the ball from the other dog? Whatever the reason, it's cute and a little funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin is a retired Springset Dam. Growing up in a large kennel she probably didn't have toys and such. Now that she lives in the house with only 15 year old Ginger to worry about I think she's possessive of her stuff. She has a stuffed pheasant and bunny that she hides behind the chair. She picked up the kong in the yard and now its in the stash too. She only plays with them when its quiet and she thinks no one is around. Then they go back in the pile. She never leaves them out in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you're right about why she hides her toys. Poor little thing probably did not have anything to chew on. I know Gordons are very intelligent. They have to have something to stimulate their brain. I also think that sometimes it's a "comfort" thing. One of our Gordons, who passed away several years ago, "Aspen", use to suck on soft stuffed toys and would work her paws, like a cat kneading bread. I'm so glad Erin has such a great home to retire in. I bet she is too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They get a whole lot more interested in the Kong toys with the holes when we put a dog cookie in the hole! Imagine that! Yeah, the Kong off the roof could TKO a dog. El Ka-bong'd by a Kong!

    Kongs' don't tend to get all good an stinky like a water bowl dunked, rolled in the mud and stuff tennis ball.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I almost forgot about the stuffing since I didn't need it for Ginger. You can buy flavored paste or liver crackers that fit in the Kong. That should get old Happy interested and he won't get bonked! Dare I suggest that you could also use cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll try a little Velveeta and see what happens. I'll let you guys know!

    ReplyDelete