Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ruffed Grouse, Limb Chickens, & Fool Hens







Photo's By: Dan Thomason


It's been raining for several days. I had to make a run to the transfer station this afternoon so I threw a couple dogs in and took the long way home. I saw a Ruffed Grouse run off the road about 50 yds. ahead so I hit the brakes, popped the latch on Gracie's dog box, slipped a couple shells in the side by side and headed down the road. Grace hit a point when she scented the bird and as I walked in behind her, a grouse flushed on my left. It went straight away behind a thicket and I never saw a feather. Grace was still 20 yds. ahead and locked up. As I moved into position, ready to fire, the grouse flushed into a tree and landed 10 ft. above the ground. It sat on the limb and just looked back at me with no concern. Locals call these grouse "Limb Chickens" or "Fool Hens", and most of them will get shot with a .22 rifle. I walked away. Maybe next time he will fly where I can get a fair shot. Probably not, but maybe....DWT

No comments:

Post a Comment