Monday, October 5, 2009

Arthritic Treatments For Your Gordon (follow up)

I'm still waiting to hear from the Vet on the ACell Vet Injections. I didn't have a keyboard for 2 days. Spilled my coffee in my Apple keyboard Saturday morning. What a way to start the day! But, I did use the time to search around somewhat, online, and I have learned that there are several versions of this sort of "medicine". There seems to be at least some complaints with them all, and they all seem to have some testimonials that swear it works. The ingredients vary slightly from one to the other. Some are injections, some are drops that are put in your dogs water or food. To tell you the truth, who knows what to believe?! I've decided to wait to hear from the vet and then see what he says about the stem cell research. I believe in that, more that anything. As soon as I find out something, I will get it blogged. But let me say this, if you have dog in need, and your looking for something, the best thing to do is go to the veterinarian that you trust and ask what is available. Every individual has to research the side effects, the cost, and the company providing the treatment. Then, and only then, can you make the decision to use it or not. I am not an expert and frankly, I'm just as confused as anyone else on this issue! Only you can decide whether your dogs conditions warrants the risks with any treatment.

2 comments:

  1. I've been looking at some of the info and costs and feel the same way. The procedure is not without risk and its pretty costly. I was looking at the selection/exclusion criteria and it appears to label some dogs that might benefit as poor candidates for the procedure. I think I'm going to do as you suggested and talk to a vet that I trust and wait for some first had information on the procedure before making condsidering the procedure. I'm afraid my old girl has to many other things wrong to qualify as a good candidate for the procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise decision. I am hoping there may be something available with stem cells. As I understand it, they take cells from the dog, send them to the lab, bring them back and inject them back into the dog. Then, the healing and regeneration begins. Of course, nothing is going to make them live forever, but the idea is to ease pain and make them more comfortable in their old age. I hope you can find something for Ginger. I know how heart breaking it is to watch them suffer.

    ReplyDelete